History

1933

Prohibition ends with the abolishment of the 18th amendment. Myles Elk opens Elk’s Tavern on the corner of Mohawk and Kossuth streets in German Village, next door to a neighborhood drug store. Legend has it that the tavern operated as a speakeasy during prohibition, but became immediately successful as a legitimate business upon prohibition’s repeal. The tavern quickly expanded to the entire building and the horseshoe bar was added. It is rumored that myles raised the turtles for the menu’s popular turtle soup and fried snapper turtle in the basement of the building.

1947

Myles Elk passes away but the tavern continues business under the name “Mohawk Grill” with the original Elk family and Walter Lynch managing until 1972.

1972

The Alexander brothers, Columbus restauranteurs and owners of the Desert Inn, purchase the business.

1974

Beatrice “Be a” Marlow begins her long career in the Mohawk’s kitchen. Shortly after, her famous meatloaf debuts as a special.

1975

The tavern is purchased by John Essmore and is operated under the name “Tiffany’s.”

1977

“The Old Mohawk” is purchased by its current owners who revert to its popular name. Jim “Jeffers” begins his long career behind the bar.

1977-1979

Guitar playing Buck and Bob are popular weekend entertainment.

1984

The famous “Nighthawk” drink, a powerful concoction of peppermint schnapps and dark rum, is invented by Jim Jeffers. A colorful blackboard is added to promote the day’s special offerings.

1985

“The Mother Mohawk” sandwich is introduced.

1986

Quesadillas are added to the menu. The Mohawk becomes known as a special place for “Fine food, timely tunes and familiar faces.”

1987

The Old Mohawk is renovated and an addition is built at the back of the restaurant.

1998

Co-owner of the Old Mohawk and resident icon Eugene “Coach” Slaughter passes away. No bar should be without a coach. He was ours.

2002

The Old Mohawk celebrates its 25th Anniversary.

2013

Friends gather and the good times continue…